Taxation of bitcoin in Finland

Dear all,

I have a problem in understanding how bitcoins profits should be taxed in Finland. It looks like that only capital gain is taxed, whereas losses are not deductible. Suppose that I have an account on mtgox.com, I buy a bitcoin at 50$, I sell it at 300$, then I buy it again at 300$ and sell it again at 50$, should I be taxed for 250$ profit (even though the final actual profit is zero)?

In any case, how can the tax office trust my (fairly complicated) declaration?

Thank you very much

Unfortunately, under present taxation rules, yes. :frowning:

I don’t think anyone can give you straight answer for that. Of course you can authenticate transactions you’ve made but nobody can tell for sure how many trades you’ve made in total, especially in mtgox for example.

In any case, I think taxation rules for bitcoin in Finland are a sketch at the moment.

Thank you for your reply.

Was it different last year? Or did the situation change with the new “ohjeistus”?

I don’t think there was any kind of guidelines on virtual currencies in Finland before 28.8.2013.

(Someone please correct if I’m wrong)

[quote=“Base, post:4, topic:1550”]I don’t think there was any kind of guidelines on virtual currencies in Finland before 28.8.2013.

(Someone please correct if I’m wrong)[/quote]

If anyone has found a solid answer to how taxation is working in Finland I would really like to hear. Even a article in Finnish would be good.

You are supposed to pay capital gains tax on the money you move from mtgox.com to your bank account.

Transactions inside exchanges bitcoin/fiat or bitcoin/alt-coins are not taxed.

How is it possible to tax what is not exist in the material world?